I don’t know about y’all but I seem to have missed all of November. It’s December 1 tomorrow….Charming’s second Christmas and Bubba’s first. Holy cow! Where has the time gone? We’re kicking it into high gear to get ready for Christmas so, although, I’m still plugging away at Bubs’ nursery (and the craft room and the master bath, and the master bedroom….), it’s time to put some of that aside until January to focus on the holidays. So this is my last post on Bubba’s nursery for a few weeks……
Now since I totally blew the nursery budget on Bubba’s crib bedding (posted here), I’ve been challenged to put together a nursery on a dime. Almost literally. I already purchased one dresser sight unseen which turned out to be way too small (posted here ). Thankfully I was able to recycle it to the craft room.
Since then I’ve been scouring the thrift stores and Kijiji and finally found this dresser at Bible’s For Missions. (The greatest thing about Bible’s For Missions, at least where I live, is that they deliver for free!) After stalking it for weeks I was able to nab it on the 50% off Monday that happens once a month. It was previously painted yellow (what is it with yellow dressers in this town???) but was solid wood and I looooooved the lines and vintage feel of the piece.
A couple of shots of the before……Parked right in the middle of my very messy kitchen.
If you aren’t sure what kind of paint has been used on a painted item, there’s a super easy way to find out using rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. Dip the ball in the alcohol and rub it on the item, wall, etc….If the paint comes off on the swab then it’s acrylic. This was acrylic paint! Yay!! That means I would have no problem using the primer I had on hand.
Did I mention the piece was solid wood and very heavy? Charming’s favorite thing is to push chairs, garbage cans, laundry baskets, and any movable pieces of furniture around….This baby didn’t budge!
The dresser needed some prep work in the way of wood filler and a couple of rounds of sanding. The biggest pain was moving it in and out of my kitchen door to sand outside. I did it all by my own self 😉
I used the primer I had on hand and two coats of Benjamin Moore, “Peacock Blue” which perfectly matched the turquoise in Bubba’s crib bedding.
I should mention that the dresser, which looks great, did not smell great. It wasn’t moldy but it smelled musty and old. I cleaned it thoroughly inside with Murphy’s Oil Soap and then rubbed a bar of regular soap over the wood inside. Now it smells fresh and clean and is a perfect fit in the nursery.