I spend a lot of time looking at everyone’s projects, tutorials, and diy’s and I love seeing all the wonderful ideas and creativity out there. But I also appreciate a good project fail story as well and hope you do, too. I thought I’d include this story because so much of blogland is about what we’ve done well. Sometimes we just need to see things that don’t work. For lessons learned or to simply make us feel better about our own boo-boos. So here’s my latest flop….
Bubba’s Feature Wall— Epic Fail!
As you might recall, Bubba is an unexpected gift who arrived with about a week’s notice. He stayed briefly in the foyer ( I know. But it sounds worse than it was.) before I gave up my master bedroom and moved my room downstairs. You can see the full post about reclaiming my foyer here.
It’s taken some time but the nursery is almost done. Here’s a picture of the bedding.
|“Transportation” by Dwell Studios|
Except for the darn “feature” wall. So frustrating. The entire room was painted in this beautiful color from Benjamin Moore, “Sea Haze” and it goes so well with Bubba’s bedding.
|Benjamin Moore “Sea Haze”|
This is the master bedroom so the room is fairly large and I wanted something interesting on the “crib wall”, however, I just can’t seem to get it right. I had originally decided on stripes in co-ordinating colors and spent a full day taping off the walls and painting the stripes.
I heard stripes were hard to do but with a level and a lot of patience, they turned out really well.
Except….. I hated them. Maybe it was that the orange was wrong (because it is really, really the wrong shade) or maybe it was because I felt like I was looking at a barcode but I just couldn’t get into it. I’ve seen this effect on other people’s walls and loved it so I really have no idea why I couldn’t stand it. I thought it could be fixed by using a darker orange but when I learned that I needed a specific primer and then the orange I scrapped the whole thing. I mean, one extra paint can and another coat is one thing but adding a tinted primer and then the new color was more time and money then I wanted to spend. So I re-painted the wall (after sanding the edge of the stripes! Lesson learned.) with a coat of primer and then the main room color.
|Repainted in “Sea Haze”|
Then I thought I’d jump on the Chevron train. I seriously love Chevron and I had already ordered a stencil from Etsy that I was thinking of using in my craft room. I don’t know what I was expecting but this was a HUGE pain the rear. It looked so easy when I saw everyone else doing it. This little section of wall took four hours!
|Four hours! For this little piece of wall!|
Four. Hours. Bubba only goes to a babysitter once a week. At this rate, he’d be in college before I could finish up. And to make it worse, it was messy to do, and would need hours of touch ups and a second coat.
So I’m back to the drawing board….repainting the nursery wall, yet again, in “Sea Haze” and waiting for inspiration to strike about decorating the crib wall. I’m thinking some simple art work and his name, just like I did for Charming’s room. But as for the special effects….I’m officially over the feature wall thing. At least on this scale. For now.Ummmm…no. So not happening. I had no idea stencils would be so hard! And messy! Or what I was doing wrong! Four hours and I just wanted to cry. Done.