Well, hello! I’ve been uncharacteristically quiet the past few weeks. Super busy at work and with the boys and haven’t had a moment to myself to breathe. I really need to start carving out some time to get back at all the half finished projects laying around waiting for my attention. But enough whining…on to this week’s adventure!
A few weeks ago I posted about the Chalk Paint disaster that happened to my cheap, crappy NEW(ish) furniture. So glad I posted that project fail because I got loads of good advice. Which I totally used. Except for the best advice of all about the Zinser Primer. Because I had already tackled the rest of the dressers by the time I read about this tip. I did buy the primer, though, to have on hand for the next project makeover.
For those that are new here or don’t know about the complete disaster that went down when I tried to chalk paint my black bedroom furniture, you can read all about it here.
I started off by just painting the tops in Paris Gray (Yup, again! Love this color!) and the paint bubbled and peeled away.
So on the advice of lots of you, I scuffed up the surface of the sides and dressers when I decided to paint the rest of the dresser in ASCP in Pure White. I took a sanding block and scuffed the living heck out of it.
After making lots of dust, I was able to get rid of the shine and wiped everything down to get ready to paint. Aaaannnd…..(wait for it!)….It happened again!!!! Aaarrrrggghhhh!!!! So freakin’ frustrated! Here’s the side of the tall dresser after THREE coats of paint!!!
Another coat and we almost have coverage.
Seriously! It took five coats and two coats of wax to cover the bubbling. I was so unimpressed that I just left it for awhile. Like totally ignored the furniture like it didn’t even exist. Except for when I needed clothes, of course. Because I eventually did clean up this mess….
After a few more weeks of pretending the dressers didn’t exist and I hadn’t completely destroyed them I finally decided to wave the white flag of peace. We agreed to disagree. I do love the color combo with my black and white bedding. And once I added the little crystal knobs I ordered on e-bay for $1/knob, I admitted that I was kind of okay with the end result.
They are kind of cute and the basement master bedroom looks way better without all the dark furniture that seemed to suck the light right out of the room.
Pure White and Paris Gray…
But goodness, they chip like crazy….This is what happened when I moved the dresser to the far wall….
I guess I’m going to be living with this set for awhile since furniture for me is definitely not in the budget. And given that the total cost for this project was the $20 I spent on the knobs (because, as we all know, I have tons of ASCP already sitting around!), I can’t complain too much. And I like them way better than the dark “wood” they were before.
Here’s the before and after….
As you can see from the different paint test splotches all over the wall, the rest of the room just isn’t photo ready. Hoping it will be in the next few weeks or so….stay tuned.